US admits Afghan civilian deaths

Article Date: 
22 Feb 2009

An investigation into a missile strike carried out by US-led forces in Afghanistan earlier this week has found that 13 civilians were among 16 people killed, the US military has said.

The military made the admission on Saturday, after originally saying that 15 opposition fighters had been killed in the strike in the Gozara district of Herat province.

Afghan officials insisted all along that six women and two children were among those killed.

Following Afghan outrage over the attack, US generals undertook an investigation, travelling to Gozara and talking to locals there.

The generals said some anti-government fighters had also been killed in the strike.

Michael Ryan, a US brigadier general, said that the investigation proved how seriously the US takes civilian casualties.

Article Source: 
Agencies